Yes its a fancy title for someone who himself is learning and evolving everyday in the games industry, but that is true of every tech related field. The important thing is to share what you know, whatever little you know, since I have learned along the years with the information shared selflessly by some awesome guys, for newbies like me. This “guide” is in no way comprehensive and only deals with my practical experiences.
My hope with this “guide” is to help anyone getting into games, to be able to know exactly what he should expect in terms of a career, the learning curve and also the hard work that he would need to put in.
Another important aspect of this guide is aimed towards my fellow Indian programmers – we have a lack of institutes that provide quality education in programming, and the few that we have do not really prepare you for what the games industry actually needs. This leads to a virtual “trial by fire” for fresh graduates, who have to actually learn on the job, and who find that reality is far removed from what was “taught” in class! This guide will hope to speed up your induction into gaming and hopefully help the games industry here in India to finally be able to churn out a worldwide best selling game, all on our own 🙂
Please keep in mind that since this is a comprehensive attempt from my end, I will have to go about it in parts. Please bear with me and do keep checking back as I keep adding parts to the guide (hopefully everyday or at least alternate days)
If you like this guide, please share it among your friends and link back to me, and most importantly, PLEASE comment and let me know if it helped you. In fact, it would be even better if you could let me know what this guide is missing, so I could add the information as I go ahead. Please also correct me where I am wrong, and add anything you find helpful. I hope it will be a collaborative effort with reader feedback making it truly comprehensive. Without further ado, let us begin…
This is how I will (tentatively) be constructing the guide, so you will know what to expect in the various parts. As I add parts, I shall update the text below with the url links, so this can serve as the index.
- The First Foray
- Games Industry Over The Years
- How To Get Started – 1 (Deciding what you want to do within the various games industry specialisations)
- I Want To Be An Artist (all I know to help you get started with being an artist in the games industry)
- I Want To Be A Games Designer (all I know to help you get started with being a designer in the games industry)
- I Want To Be A Games Programmer (all I know to help you get started with being a programmer in the games industry)
- I Want To Make My Own Game! (nowadays this is pretty simple to achieve, read all about it here)
- Final Words (what you need to keep in mind afetr you have entered the industry)
That;s it for now, the First Foray is coming up next!
thank you for reading and I hope you go ahead and read the remaining parts as well. Most Importantly, I hope it helps you in some way of achieving what you wish to do!